Tourna Mega Tac overgrip
According to Tourna, Mega Tac is the tackiest overgrip ever made, period. An exclusive polyurethane coating creates an ultra tacky surface that literally clings to your hand. Tourna also promises a very long tack time, with Tourna reporting tackiness for up to 14 hours.
Tourna designed Mega Tac for players who prefer a durable, tacky grip, that works even in cold weather.
Mega Tac is available in Tourna’s trademarked light blue color, white, and black. The length is listed as XL (100 cm x 2.9 cm). The grips come in packs that include finishing tape.
Tested by 30 USRSA playtesters (28 males, 2 females), with NTRP ratings from 3.5 to 6.0. Average number of hours playtested was 22.3. Prior to testing, we asked about grip preferences: 28 said they preferred a tacky grip; 2 said they preferred a dry grip. Testers were sent unmarked grips, so they were not aware of the brand or model of the overgrip.
Installing Mega Tac is straightforward. Neither end is tapered, so if you go for that look you need to trim it yourself. There is also no adhesive starter tab, but if you start with a square end, it’s easy to hold the grip in place for the first wrap. Mega Tac stretches nicely to avoid puckering in the transition from the butt cap to the grip, and we didn’t notice any narrowing as we pulled it into place. The finishing tape adhered well and we had no problems with overgrips unraveling at the top.
Finally, even as tacky as it is to handle, Mega Tac separated from itself and the replacement grip with no drama or residue during removal after the test.
On the court
Compared against some of the iconic overgrips on the market, Mega Tac really impressed our playtest team. They rated Mega Tac first overall in the Durability, Proper Tackiness, Retains Tackiness, and Tacky and Absorbent categories. Mega Tac also gained a second-place rating in the Absorption category, and third-place ratings in both the Initial Feel and Feel Over Time categories. As a result, Tourna Mega Tac is the highest-rated overgrip we’ve tested, by a large margin.
When you first start playing with Mega Tac, you may have to focus more on changing your grip position; it’s that tacky. After a few hours, though, Mega Tac seems to settle in to a still-high but easily manageable level of tackiness, and remains that way for hours. Compared to a conventional white grip, Mega Tac seemed cleaner, less worn, and much tackier after many hours of play.
Not surprisingly, nine playtesters told us that Mega Tac was too tacky. Eighteen reported that overall they prefer the overgrip they currently use. Otherwise, a clear majority reported satisfaction with Mega Tac’s length, width, compression, stretch, absorbency, and thickness.
When we say that Tourna Mega Tac is a really tacky grip, we mean that as a compliment. Tourna acknowledges that a product this extreme can be polarizing to players, and we saw some of that in the playtest results, but the amazing characteristics of Mega Tac obviously impressed the members of our playtest team.
Tourna says that Mega Tac grips you back, but really, you have to try it to believe it.
- “The grip of the future. This grip grips you back. I love this grip! When can I get more? It’s hard to go back to my regular grip.” 4.5 male all court player using Babolat Pure Storm Tour (Babolat Feel Pro Tour)
- “This was an excellent grip overall. It remained tacky throughout the test period and even though it became dirty and worn, it still remained tacky. The grip’s strengths are its durability, resistance to movement, and tackiness. My only recommendation would be to taper the ends for ease of wrapping. I would most likely switch to this grip, particularly if it were manufactured in different colors.” 4.5 male all court player using Prince O3 Blue (Tecnifibre Player’s Wrap)
- “I really liked this overgrip! Great overgrip for players who sweat a lot (which I do). The feel was wonderful and it gave me that extra pop on my groundstrokes! I’m switching to this overgrip!!” 4.0 male all court player using Babolat Aero Pro Drive (Gamma Supreme)
- “I believe the grip (size, comfort and feel) is 40% of the playability of the racquet. A major part of my business as a racquet technician involves grip work — enlarging, replacement for installing overgrips. Many players at all levels pay little attention to their grips. I frequently provide complimentary overgrips with new string jobs because the existing grips are so bad they will distract from the quality of the new strings. The test sample overgrip was a very pleasant surprise.” 3.5 male baseliner with moderate spin using Prince Thunder Rip (Prince Microzorb and Prince Duratac +)
- “I really liked the test overgrip because of its tackiness. My hands don’t sweat a lot and I felt like I had a good hold of the racquet handle — no slipping or twisting in my hand.” 4.0 female all court player using Head Youtek Graphene Speed Pro (Wilson Pro Overgrip)
- “Felt great immediately and never lost that feel. If you want a tacky grip, this is the one. Superb!” 4.5 male all court player using Prince Tour 100T ESP (Prince Resi Pro)
- “This is a wonderful overgrip. I don’t know what the price is and would love to test it on a lot of my players.” 3.5 female all court player using Prince Scream (Wilson Pro Tour Overgrip)
- “The temperatures where I live over the past six weeks were rarely over 45. So, I did not sweat much to test the absorbency of this grip. I usually play with a tacky grip, plus the Tacky Towel. But, I didn’t need to use the tacky towel with this grip. I liked the fact that the grip didn’t lose its tackiness, nor did it show signs of wear during the playtest. I hope it’s available in other colors than the signature blue.” 4.0 male all court player using Volkl Organix 4 (Yonex Super Grap)
- “I definitely prefer a more tacky grip. I think this will be a good summer product.” 5.0 male all court player using Wilson Juice 100 (Wilson Pro Overgrip)
- “For people who sweat a lot, I would highly recommend. Very tacky, lasts a lot longer than other grips and absorbs well.” 5.0 male all court player using Head Youtek Prestige (Head Contour)
- “The overgrip is a sticky grip, which I like during the winter especially. In the summer, I prefer absorbent overgrips. I’ve used sticky overgrips in the past, but they tend to lose their stickiness fairly quickly. This overgrip has stayed sticky the entire time, and I’ve used it 2 times per week for at least 16 hours of play. I’m really impressed with this overgrip! How does it compare to my usual overgrip? Seems a bit cushier and stays sticky much longer.” 4.0 male all court player using Babolat Aeropro Drive Cortex (Wilson H2Overgrip)
- “I never thought I would find a tacky grip better than the one I used for years – but, I did! Longer life, better feel. I am sold!” 5.0 male serve-and-volley player using Babolat AeroPro Drive (Yonex Super Grap)
- “This grip is too tacky. It feels like there is glue on the grip when handled with a dry hand. The absorbency for a grip this tacky is very good. Players who love tacky grips will love this grip. At first glance, it looks like a Tourna product due to the colors.” 5.0 male baseliner with heavy spin using Wilson Pro Open BLX (Wilson Pro Overgrip)
- “Super tackiness that lasts. Really grips your hand without being sticky. Would like a tapered/adhesive starting end. White would also be nice. Definitely would stock and use. A winner!” 4.5 male all court player using Prince Premier ESP (Babolat Pro Tour Traction)
- “I was very impressed by both the tackiness and durability. At first, I was concerned about amount of tackiness being too much, but it worked out very well. I would have like to test it during our 100 degree days of summer.” 3.5 male all court player using Babolat Pure Storm (None)
- “I could see some chronic grip slippers from sweaty palms really like this grip. A bit too much on the tacky side for my liking. Over time the grip became the level of tackiness I would like. It probably took a week or so. I think this would work well for those heavy sweaters in the summer time needing the extra gripping.” 5.0 male serve-and-volley player using Wilson BLX Five (Wilson Pro Overgrip)
- “Felt great and looked good. I would definitely stock for sale and possibly switch for personal use depending on price point.” 4.5 male touch player using Head MicroGel Extreme S 2.0 (Genesis Supra 50)
- “I have been playing with the original TournaGrip since the 80’s. That grip is more of an absorbent grip than a tacky grip so it’s hard to change old habits. This one would be a great winter grip (aside from the first few times, when it seemed almost TOO tacky – difficult to change grips). I think this grip provides value assuming price is comparable to others, because the tack lasts so long that players wouldn’t have to change it very often.” 4.0 male all court player using Boris Becker Delta Core London (TournaGrip Original)
- “Simply a superior overgrip for those wanting a thick and tacky grip. I would prefer to see a thin and tacky option for players who want less comfort and more precision.” 5.0 male all court player using Wilson Blade 98 (None)
- “Very tacky for the first few hours. Almost to the point of feeling like you will need too wash your hands. However, nothing is sticking to your hands. Retained a tacky feel even after 8-10 hours of play.” 4.0 male all court player using Wilson BLX Six One (TournaGrip Blue)
|Not Tacky Enough||1|
|Not Long Enough||5|
|Too Much Compression||0|
|Not Enough Compression||1|
|Not Stretchy Enough||6|
|Not Absorbent Enough||4|
|Not Thick Enough||2|
|Durability (1st overall)||4.0|
|Initial Feel (3rd — tie)||3.8|
|Feel Over Time (3rd overall)||3.6|
|Proper Tackiness (1st overall)||4.0|
|Absorption (2nd overall)||3.5|
|Retains Tackiness (1st overall)||3.7|
|Tacky and Absorbent (1st overall)||3.9|
Length – 40 inches (102 cm)
Width – 1.125 inches (2.85 cm)
Weight – 6 grams
Thickness – Added 3/32 inches (.09375 inches) to a 4¼-inch grip
KEY: Respondents ranked overgrip from a possible low of 1 to a high of 5. Values represent rating averages.
MEGA TAC Jar – 36 Assorted GripsRead more
TOURNA MEGA TAC – 10 Pack BlackRead more
TOURNA MEGA TAC – 10 Pack BlueRead more
TOURNA MEGA TAC – 10 Pack BlueRead more
TOURNA MEGA TAC – 3 PACK BlackRead more
TOURNA MEGA TAC – 3 PACK BlueRead more
TOURNA MEGA TAC – 3 PACK WhiteRead more
TOURNA MEGA TAC – 30 Pack – BlackRead more
TOURNA MEGA TAC – 30 Pack – BlueRead more
TOURNA MEGA TAC – 30 Pack – WhiteRead more
TOURNA MEGA TAC- 2 pack BlackRead more
TOURNA MEGA TAC- 2 pack BlueRead more